Saturday, July 3, 2010

Gauge (Or, It's My Own Fault)

Seen on every knitting pattern ever written: "TAKE TIME TO CHECK GAUGE." But did I listen?

About two days ago, I was working on the foot of my vampire socks, and I went to try it on (or, as much as you can try on a sock that's only half done). It was a little tight, but I thought, "Maybe that's just because of the cables. It'll be fine when it's done." However, a little voice in the back of my head nagged me that they were too small. So I checked my gauge. You should know that I didn't check gauge before I started. I thought, "Okay, the pattern calls for size 1 needles, so I'll use my size 2s because I knit tightly," and I began knitting. When measuring my gauge a few days ago, I discovered that instead of the 7 1/2 stitches per inch that I was supposed to get, I had about 8 1/4 stitches per inch. This is my sock now:





















My mom was absolutely appalled when I showed her, and my younger brother had some protests of his own. But I would rather be sure that the socks fit beforehand (by checking my gauge like I should have!) than find out when I'm done that they don't fit. But, because I'm irritated with myself, I'll be working on my shawl (with isn't as picky about gauge) for a little while.
I'll say it again: It's my own fault.

Until next time, happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment